Anyone who is professional or amateur, engaged in floriculture agree that ficuses are the most suitable plants for this business for a variety of reasons. Including Ficus Anastasia – one of the varieties of Benjamina.
It differs from its brethren by a motley leaf color, characterized by light green uneven edging and the same shade of vein. Also, the leaves of this variety, besides all, have uneven edges, can reach 7 cm in length and 3 cm in width. Often ficus Anastasia is confused with ficus Regidan – another variety of Benjamina, but you should know that this plant decreases with age, sometimes disappears, and the leaf has smooth edges. It is also worth remembering that the ficus Benjamina – “Anastasia” may have the shape of a tree or shrub, depending on your wishes. It is also easily amenable to other decorative manipulations, such as the skillful formation of an unusual trunk. However, this bonsai flower will not work, because it grows intensively enough for this. And, nevertheless, Ficus Anastasia will be a wonderful addition to a home greenhouse.
Home Care for Ficus Anastasia
How to treat your favorite plant correctly, so that it could please us with its greenery for a long time? Of course, like any other variety, Ficus Anastasia needs the right care. However, do not be in a hurry to get upset, because this variety is not very demanding, which is already beloved by most flower growers. The main thing is to remember a few simple rules:
- Lighting: motley varieties, like Ficus Anastasia, are light-loving plants, so the ideal place in your home for it will be the southern window. But do not overdo the light, because direct sunlight can harm the plant. If you decide to pamper your ficus with fresh air in summer and take it to the balcony or garden, do not forget to shade it.
- Temperature: this ficus does not like heat, so in summer the room temperature should be within a radius of +25 ° C, and in winter not above +16 ° C. Also beware of drafts – they are harmful not only for the plant, but also for your family members.
- Watering: if you decide to grow a tree from your ficus, it is recommended to water it once in 4-6 days – the soil should dry a little. If your Ficus Anastasia has become ampelle, it is worth “drinking” it every third day. In winter, watering should be reduced, but do not allow the land to dry out.
- Air humidity: it is recommended to spray and wipe the leaves regularly with a wet sponge.
- Transplantation: Young plants are transplanted every year in spring, and those older plants are transplanted once every 3-4 years. When transplanting, you should also remember that you should not use too big a pot, so that the soil does not sour as long as the roots will fill the space in the pot.
- Feeding: with proper care, the ficus does not need frequent fertilization. You can “recharge” the plant from spring to autumn, i.e., during the period of active growth, taking into account its intensity – the faster the plant grows, the more often it is fertilized. It is best to use universal fertilisers, both for roots and by spraying leaves with a specially diluted solution.
- Reproduction: the ficus can be multiplied by cutting, and it can give roots in water as well as in the ground. Milk juice should be washed off the slice before it begins to take root so that there is no blockage, which may lead to the absence of roots.
Diseases and pests – what hinders growth
- Leaf fall often occurs due to lack of light to the plant. In autumn, when sunlight is no longer so active in your room, the ficus may signal that it is no longer so comfortable. In this case, you should find the brightest place and move the plant. To prevent new leaves from falling, you should reduce the frequency of watering.
- A spider mite can be found on the back side of the leaf. It looks like a small red spider. It appears because of the warm air in the room that has dried up. You can get rid of this pest by infusion of tobacco dust with soap.
- If you find stains or dots on your plant leaves, it may be a shield aphid. You can get rid of it with soap infusion and tobacco dust with the addition of kerosene or denatured alcohol.
As you can see, you can cope with any problems by yourself and help your plant to overcome the disease. The main thing is that you love your ficus and take care of it, then it will be healthy and give you a lot of aesthetic pleasure.