Ficus Black Prince is another variety of Ficus Elastica, which today is one of the most popular in home floriculture. This plant with such a noble name came to us from Southern Indonesia, North-East India, West Africa and Nepal. There, in its homeland, Ficus Elastica Black Prince grows to 40 meters in height – thus, it is used in industry for producing rubber. But how did he conquer flower growers involved in ornamental cultivation? It’s simple – his large, rounded leathery leaves up to 25 cm long and 20 cm wide, deep, dark green have done their job. In addition, the trunk and petioles have the same color with a reddish tint. The central vein is well visible on both sides of the sheet and has a brown hue.
Taking care of Ficus Black Prince at home
How this variety differs from Elastica is clear, but what is the similarity? Now the most pleasant thing is that Ficus Black Prince does not require special vigilance and strict care at home, and quite safely adapts to life in the living space.
- Lighting: like other Elastica Ficus Black Prince likes bright, but diffuse light. In summer, you will be very grateful for the time spent in the fresh air.
Remember to shade the plant from direct sunlight, which can leave burns on its leaves.
- Temperature: the most suitable temperature for Elastica will be +18 ° C – +24 ° C in summer and +16 ° C – +18 ° C in winter.
- Watering: watering Ficus Black Prince requires moderate – when the upper part of the earth has already dried up.
Do not allow the soil to overwet – this leads to rotting of the root system.
- Air humidity: with medium humidity in the room, the ficusu will be quite comfortable, but you can wipe the leaves with a wet sponge. Also on hot days or heating season, you can add spraying.
- Transplantation: transplanting is carried out in the spring. Young plants must be transferred every year, while increasing the pot. Adult ficuses do not require frequent replanting, they can change the pot to a larger one when the roots have occupied the entire earthy lump.
The most suitable soil for the ficus is one that contains equal parts of peat, leaf and sod soil, compost and coarse sand.
- Fertilization: fertilization is carried out during the growth period: from spring to autumn. For this purpose, use universal mineral or organic substrates.
- Propagation: like its brethren, Ficus Black Prince is multiplied by drawing and air taps. For the first method it is necessary to cut a stalk to 15 cm with one or two healthy sheets. The cut should be cleaned of milk juice and powdered with a root growth stimulant. Then the petiole is rooted in water or earth substrate at a temperature of +22 ° C – +25 ° C.
When separating and working with a slice, remember to protect your hands with gloves, as the milk juice that releases ficuses can cause irritation or an allergic reaction.
When multiplying with air taps, you should make an incision on the trunk, insert glass, wood or fill it with coarse sand. Next, you need to wrap the cut with a wet sphagnum and polyethylene. Once the root system begins to develop, the escape can be separated and transplanted into the ground.
Diseases and pests
The most common pests of Ficus Black Prince are spider mite, thrips and shield. To get rid of them, insecticide treatment of leaves will help. As for diseases, they are mainly due to improper care: too dry or too damp soil, dry air, constant change of ficus place.