Among the many species of domestic plants it is Ficus Amstel King (which you can see in the photo) is the most unpretentious, although it came to us from the humid Indonesian climate. He received his name after the Dutch phytologist and gardener Simon Binnendijk. In its natural habitat, this evergreen tree can reach up to 20 m in length and can also be fruited by syconias of round or oval shape. At home you can easily grow Amstel King Ficus to 170 cm.
The bark of a young plant has a brown, dark color, but acquires a grey tint with white stripes as it grows. Ficus Amstel King leaves are long, elongated, leathery and glossy, somewhat curved along the middle vein, which is most pronounced on the back of the leaf plate. The leaf may be as long as 30 cm, and as wide as 6 cm. Petiole grows to 4 cm. If you decide to buy this green pet in a specialty store, do not forget how to approach his choice.
First, pay attention to the roots that look out of the bottom holes of the pot, if you notice some blackening, it means that the plant is damaged or sick, this option is better left in place. Second, with a small shake from the ficus should not fall a single leaf, otherwise, it is worth looking at other flowers. After you bring home a new tenant, wipe its leaves or take a warm shower – sometimes in stores the leaves are treated with a special solution to make them even more shiny, after which the plant may fall ill or even die. Well, if you managed to choose a strong and healthy fixation tree, then proceed to the next stage – care for it.
Taking care of Ficus Amstel King at home
As mentioned earlier, in the description of the plant, Ficus Amstel King is the most undemanding in the maintenance at home. Below are some of the rules that you can follow to ensure that your plant has the right comprehensive care
- Lighting: this kind of ficus likes bright places, but without direct sunlight. Lack of lighting can slow down growth and deform the crown.
- Temperature: Ficus Amstel King very well tolerate the temperature conditions of the European region. So in summer he will feel comfortable from +25 ° C to +30 ° C, and in winter it is suitable +16 ° C – +20 ° C.
- Watering: the summer period is characterized by abundant watering of the plant, but you should take care not to fill it. Before each watering, the top layer of soil should dry a little. In winter, the volume of irrigation should be reduced.
- Air humidity: Amstel King Ficus loves to bathe under a warm shower, spraying water at room temperature and rubbing leaves with a wet sponge.
It is important to know! Bathing ficus under the shower is conducted once a month and only when the soil is covered with a film or cellophane bag.
It is important to know! Bathing ficus under the shower is held once a month and only when the soil is closed with a film or cellophane package.
In addition, during the heating season, the air becomes dry, which is detrimental to any kind of fucus, so it is recommended to put Amstel King Ficus on a raised tray with expanded clay, broken brick or pebbles, which should be kept moist.
- Transplantation: like any other plant, this ficus can only be transplanted in spring. This does not require any special soil. So for transfer is suitable and a mixture of black soil with sand, minerals and peat. Young plants should be transplanted every year, changing the pot for a bigger one. More mature specimens require it once in three years, but you can replace the top layer every year.
Ficus Amstel King does not like moisture retention in the soil, so you need to provide it with a good drainage layer.
- Ficus fertilization: Ficus fertilization is carried out in spring and summer once every two weeks or 10 days. After transplanting is not recommended to feed the plant a couple of months, because the substrate still contains everything you need. In winter, no fertilization at all, but if you provide moisture and additional artificial lighting, then you can fertilize half of it.
- Reproduction: in the home it is best to reproduce with cuttings 7cm – 10cm, which have 3 – 4 sheets on them. Stalk should be washed from the milk juice, putting it in a glass of water for half an hour. Then dry it for another hour. Rooting can be carried out both in the ground and in water. For germination of roots is most suitable mixture of sand and peat. After planting the ficus must be covered with plastic film.
As you can see, the care of Ficus Amstel King is not very difficult, but even such a “non-conflict” plant can be trouble.
Types of diseases and pests
First of all, I would like to remind you that the entire family of ficuses have common enemies that appear from the dried air: a spider mite, a shield, a mealy worm and thrips. To avoid their appearance, the plant should be provided with proper humidity. Well, if you still face in a fair fight with these pests, then you can come to the aid of special chemicals, soap solutions and even ordinary alcohol. Other causes of ficus diseases may become:
- temperature fluctuations – in this case, the leaves may fall off;
- the need for a transplant can be marked by the fact that new leaves grow small; – high soil humidity is characterized by yellowing and falling leaves;
- if the leaves have become dry and even wrinkled, it is worth paying attention to the lighting, and the plant may be exposed to direct sunlight;
- if there are brown spots on the leaves – pay attention to the amount of fertilizer and the temperature in the room; such changes may occur if it gets very hot.