Ficus Binnendijkii is another representative of tropical evergreen trees, which are easy to grow in greenhouses and living quarters. Like many others, this species came to us from far south-east Asia, where its natural habitat was rainy forests. From other ficuses, it is strikingly different from the shape of the leaf. Actually, the leaves of Ficus Binnendijkii are elongated, narrow, slightly drooping, with deepening along the entire central vein. The surface plate is green in color, glossy and leathery. The trunks of both young and adult plants remain thin and flexible, only change color with age – from dark brown to light grey. Like many of his brothers, Binnendijkii is not a very demanding ficus, so it will not be difficult to care for him.
Taking care of Ficus Binnendijkii at home
The highest priority condition for the health of your ficus is taking care of it. And we, in turn, will help you in this with a few tips and descriptions of the plant.
- Lighting: Ficus Binnendijkii likes bright diffused light. It is recommended to keep it at a distance of two to three meters from the window. If the light is too bright, it is advisable to shade the plant. This ficus can also adapt to the shade, but it will significantly slow down its growth.
Important: Do not allow a lack of light, otherwise the ficus will start dropping its leaves or may die.
- Temperature: Ficus Binnendijkii does not like cold and draughts. In winter, the temperature should not be lower than +15, and in summer it may vary between +18 ° C – +23 ° C. If the temperature increases, it is recommended to increase the level of humidity.
- Watering: In summer, the frequency of watering should be equal to two times a week, and in winter one is enough. Before each next irrigation, the ground should dry a little.
Pay attention! Ficus Binnendijkii may suffer more from overflow than from lack of moisture.
- Humidity of the air: Spraying once a week from spring to the heating season is sufficient for this type of irrigation. Then it is desirable to increase the humidity. It is also recommended to wipe the ficus leaves with a wet sponge.
- Transplant: young plants are transplanted annually in February or March, increasing the pot. In adults, you can only replace the top layer of soil. During the replanting horse should not be cut, it is better to try to put them all in one pot. The best ficus grows when the final system braided the whole earthball.
- Feeding: it is recommended to feed Ficus Binnendijkii every two weeks with liquid fertilizers, alternating between mineral and organic.
- Reproduction: in the home, you can reproduce this species of ficus with the help of 8 cm cuttings, cleaning it from the milk juice. Cut can be rooted in a mixture of sand and earth or peat and perlite. More experienced flower growers reproduce by air.
What diseases and pests occur
Our ficus can be attacked by a spider mite, a shield and a powdery worm. You can get rid of the first two with soapy water or alcohol, but the worm will have to be disposed of with anticorcidants. Also, the abundant sun can have a negative effect on Ficus Binnendijkii and lead to yellowening of the leaves. But an excess of water may kill the plant at all. We already know what to do to avoid such mistakes and grow a strong plant. We wish you success in your home floriculture.