Ficus Deltoidea is one of the representatives of the mulberry family, which has the form of eternal green bush life. Having left its homeland – Malaya archipelago and circled the whole Southeast Asia, this plant moved to the expanses of Europe and began to grow here as an ornamental. In the native expanses of tropical forests Ficus Deltoidea grows up to 5m – 7m high, and in width – 1m – 3m. In addition to the open ground, it can also settle on a tree, but do not behave like a banyan. This kind of existence, in case of this ficus, is more like mistletoe.
It got its name from the shape of a leaf, which is similar to a Greek letter or triangle with rounded corners. The color of the leaf plate on top is bright green with white, barely noticeable dots, and light green with a few black spots on the bottom, indicating that this ficus is variable. Its length can reach from 4cm to 8cm, and its width – up to 7cm. Shrub branches can be a little twisted. The bark has a gray-brown or gray tint.
Ficus Deltoidea begins to bear fruit from an early age, syconias grow ball-shaped to 1cm in diameter, inedible.
Taking care of Ficus Deltoidea at home
Taking care of Ficus Deltoidea does not require any special skills or special knowledge. It is enough to perform a set of standard actions that will ensure the healthy growth of a green pet.
- Lighting: Ficus Deltoidea is a light-loving plant, so bright diffuse light is optimal for it.
- Temperature: Resistant to changes in temperature, but it cannot stand drafts and frosts. In summer, the best option will be the temperature from +17 ° C to 24 ° C, and in winter not below +15 ° C.
- Watering: prefers a moderate watering, which will not cause either the soil to dry out or excess moisture. During the rest period – in winter, the frequency of watering should be reduced.
- Air humidity: During the summer period, daily spraying with clean, cool water is best. Also water loving ficus “will not give up” a cool shower and rubbing leaves with a wet sponge.
- Transplant: Ficus Deltoidea does not need an annual transplant, only the plant grown from its pot requires. Adult ficus can be changed only the top layer of the earth.
- Feeding: The fertilizer is not superfluous in the period of active growth, it is best to use mineral and organic substrates.
- Reproduction: Ficus Deltoidea at home is best to reproduce with cuttings that can be rooted either in water or in the nutrient soil.
If the temperature in the room rises, the ficus requires ventilation.
Diseases and pests of the Deltoid Ficus
Among the pests common: mealy worm, spider mite, shield and thrips. You can get rid of them with special chemicals or insecticides. Also negative effects are dry air, lack or excess moisture and direct sunlight.