Ficus Elastica has several varieties, and the most common among them is Ficus Robusta. Besides the fact that this plant is unpretentious in care, it also provides an invaluable service to its owners – it cleans the air in the house from benzene and phenol. And for those who choose flowers by sight, Ficus Robusta can be a real find. For example, it is believed that this plant is able to moderate your appetite and not only for food, but also for excessive financial waste. It may also have an impact on the general mood at home, or even to chase away evil spirits in general.
This amazing ficus came to us from faraway India and Indonesia, where in its natural habitat can grow up to 40 m high, and there are examples of 60-meter trees, while the trunk diameter – 2 m.
Of course, at home the size of the Ficus Robusta is not much like a wild-growing ficus, but, of course, there is a unifying element – these are large, oval-shaped with sharpened leaves, reaching a length of 45 cm and a width of 20 cm. The upper leaf plate is dark green in color, and the lower one is slightly lighter. There is a pronounced central vein with smooth branches, which are better visible on the lower part of the leaf, and on the upper one – form convexity. The young leaves are surrounded by red pristines, which fall off when the leaf opens.
In the photo below you can see the Ficus Robusta in all its glory:
As it was mentioned earlier, Robusta Elastica is not a capricious ficus, which makes it very attractive for those who are just beginning to “start” plants at home or for very busy people.
- Lighting: Ficus Robusta likes bright diffused light and can also be in the shade. If you have phytolamps at home that can replace sunlight, Ficus will feel great somewhere deep in the room.
- Temperature: the most optimal temperature range is between +18°C and 25°C.
Like his brothers from the family Ficus Robusta does not like draughts and sharp temperature changes. And if you don’t stick to the recommended limits, the plant may react by dropping its leaves.
- Watering: Elastica Robusta loves abundant watering, but it requires that the ground has time to dry out, about 2 cm – 3 cm deep.
Be careful not to allow the soil to overwet, otherwise, the soil may sour and the roots may rot. In addition, do not dry out the ground, otherwise the ficus will arrange a leaffall.
- Air humidity: the best option for both humans and plants is to have an air humidity level slightly above 50% . In winter, when homes are heated by central heating, the humidity decreases, which means that the ficus will need additional spraying and rubbing of leaves with a wet sponge.
In the warm season, wiping leaves are also very important for keeping the plant clean.
- Transplant: Ficus Elastica is a fast growing plant that needs to be transplanted every year at a young age with a pot increase. A more mature ficus is enough to replace the top layer of soil with a new one.
- Feeding: Feeding is very important during the period of active plant growth – from spring to autumn. For this purpose, it is best to use nitrogen-saturated complex fertilisers.
- Reproduction: Reproduction is done by cutting, i.e., it is necessary to carefully cut the stalk with 2-3 pairs of leaves and take root either in special soil or in ordinary water.
Diseases and pests
Ficus Robusta is practically not visited by any pests, but sometimes a spider mite can become an unexpected guest. What to chase away the cheeky need to wipe the leaves on both sides.
More often, the ficus may be subjected to improper care, which may cause the leaves to turn yellow and fall. The causes of this behavior are the plants:
- excess or lack of light;
- dried air;
- too high a temperature;
- excessive or insufficient watering.